Welcome to The Great Barrier Walking Festival25th til 26th November, 2017
Welcome to the second Great Barrier Walking Festival! A two-day walking experience that will leave you wanting to come back for more. Spectacular scenery, mining and whaling history, walk with subject experts and take away wonderful memories. We have some of the best bush, beaches and bays in the country. Our expert guides know all about the history, the nature and they have the stories to bring these magical places to life.
We’re limited to 60 guests this year so book up quickly to secure your place. With walks from 2-6 hours long, graded from easy to hard and taking in hot pools to graveyards, there will be plenty to do.
While we are a remote destination we are very accessible and our aim is to:
- Help you make the most of your time on Great Barrier Island
- Celebrate this isolated beauty
- Show you what a great place the island is as a walking destination
- Welcome and encourage you to return again and again
- Show that walking is an easy way to get/keep fit, a social activity that can be invigorating, relaxing and spiritually uplifting
- Aid awareness of the value of conservation in the natural environment
- Become an annual regional tourist attraction.
Supporting Bring Back Kokako
Aotea (Great Barrier Island) is a natural habitat and home for the NZ Kokako. These birds were removed from Aotea to save them and increase their declining population due to pests. The Ngati Rehua Trust Board and the Department of Conservation are working together to bring back kokako to Aotea.
Your sponsorship of the Bring Back Kokako project includes your registration and entry fee as well as supporting a worthy cause.